Kingsbury county is still a very rural county. It is very dependent
on agriculture. Some small plants are open in the county but
many work in Huron, Brookings, and Madison.
Lake Thompson has changed to the largest lake in the state. Rains
in the 1980's caused Albert, Spirit Lake, Whitewood, Preston and Thompson
to swallow up hundreds of acres of farm land. Fishing is year round
sport. Most fisherman drive in for the day. The area is a prime duck
and goose area.
De Smet still has the "Little House on the Prairie" pageants each
year. Other heritage sites are buffalo wallows, Indian mounds, Swett's
Grove, and Ingalls and Harvey Dunn homesteads.
state of South Dakota started recording vital records in 1905.
Some records are available before then but most of the information
is gleaned from newspapers, church, propate and land records.
is a brief history of the county and George W. Kingsbury's Biography.
This information appears in Chapter LXXIV of "History of South Dakota"
by Doane Robinson, Vol. I (1904), pages 392-407 and was scanned, OCRed
and edited by Joy Fisher, email@example.com This file may be freely
copied by individuals and non-profit organizations for their private
use. Any other use, including publication, storage in a retrieval
system, or transmission by electronic, mechanical, or other means
requires the written approval of the file's author. This file is part
of the SDGENWEB Archives.
If you arrived here inside a frame or from a link from somewhere else,
our front door is at http://usgwarchives.net/sd/statefiles.htm
Named for George W. Kingsbury, editor, of Yankton. Created by legislature
of 1873, but rearranged by Brown bill of 1879. Organized by Governor
Howard December 15, 1879. Explored by John C. Fremont in 1838, who
surveyed and named the lakes Preston, for Senator Preston, of North
Carolina, and Albert (Abert), for Senator Abert, of Florida. Jacob
Hanson was the first settler at Lake Albert, 1873. The principal settlement
came with the railroad in 1880, from which time Arlington, Lake Preston,
DeSmet and Iroquois date. The Hawarden line was built in 1883 and
the Milwaukee in 1887. Thomas H. Ruth was commissioner of school and
public lands, 1891-95; Charles Stromback, oil inspector, 1890-1893;
Thomas Reed, regent of education, 1883-5; J. F. Halladay, state auditor,
1903; Carter P. Sherwood, food and dairy Commissioner, 1901. Area,
834 square miles. Population, 1900, 9,866. Company E, First South
Dakota, in Philippines, was recruited here.
George W. Kingsbury Biography
The file you requested is shown below. The free access to this USGenWeb
Archives file is provided through the courtesy of US Gen Web.com Inc.
This biography appears on pages 1126-1127 in "History of Dakota Territory"
by George W. Kingsbury, Vol. V (1915) and was scanned, OCRed and edited
by Maurice Krueger, firstname.lastname@example.org. This file may be freely copied
by individuals and non-profit organizations for their private use.
Any other use, including publication, storage in a retrieval system,
or transmission by electronic, mechanical, or other means requires
the written approval of the file's author. This file is part of the
SDGENWEB Archives. If you arrived here inside a frame or from a link
from somewhere else, our front door is at http://usgwarchives.net/sd/statefiles.htm
GEORGE W. KINGSBURY.
W. Kingsbury, who has written and compiled this History of Dakota
Territory, is a citizen of Yankton, where he has resided since March,
1862. He came up from Junction City, Kansas, at that time. He was
born in a farm home, on the west branch of the Mohawk river, in the
town of Lee, Oneida County, New York, December 16, 1837. His father,
Charles Backus Kingsbury, was born at Norwich, near New London, Connecticut,
September 21, 1802. His
grandfather, Asa Kingsbury, was born in Connecticut, about 1750. In
1776 he enlisted in Colonel John Ely's regiment, at Norwich, and served
during the Revolutionary war, becoming a sergeant in 1878 or 1879.
These items are gathered from the official records in the War Department,
at Washington. He married after the war and resided at Lebanon, Connecticut,
until early in the eighteenth century, when he emigrated to New York
and settled at Turin, Oneida county. G. W. Kingsbury's mother was
Ruama Barnes, born at Leyden, Lewis county, New York, December 21,
1805. Her father was Abram Barnes and was born at New Haven, Connecticut,
in 1777; her grandfather was John Barnes, also a native of Connecticut.
Her mother was Ruama Kennedy, born at Bedford, Westchester county,
New York, in 1777. The Barnes family settled near Turin early in the
eighteenth century. The father of George W. Kingsbury removed from
Lee to Utica in the same county in 1843, and in Utica the son attended
the common schools, and in time learned the trade of a printer. He
was one of the carrier boys of the Utica Morning Herald while a school
boy, and served his apprenticeship as a printer in the office of the
Utica Daily Evening Telegraph, published by Thomas McQuade and James
McIver, and also in the office of the New York Baptist Register, owned
by Dolphas Bennett and was published at Utica. At the age of eighteen,
with the consent of his parents, Mr. Kingsbury removed to Watertown,
Wisconsin, to work with civil engineers on the Watertown & Madison
Railroad, of which, a cousin, Sylvester Barnes, was chief engineer.
This was in 1856. In the fall of 1857 a financial panic, nation-wide,
came on; work was suspended on the railroad, and on all lines under
construction, and the subject of this sketch spent the following winter
employed as a printer, on the Daily Pantagraph, at Bloomington, Illinois.
In the spring of 1858 he went to St. Louis, secured passage on a Kansas
bound steamboat (there were many of them at that time), arrived at
Leavenworth in May, when what was known as the Utah war was impending
and Leavenworth was a principal outfitting point for the government.
The young man concluded that there was an opportunity here for employment
that would enable him to see much of the western country at the expense
of the government, by engaging as a driver in the ox-trains that were
then loading up. Accordingly he went out to Fort Leavenworth where
the ox corrals were located, and spent a portion of one afternoon
witnessing the yoking up of several hundred oxen and the "hawing"
and "geeing" that was required to get them into the train. He returned
to the city in early evening, and the next morning found employment
as a compositor on the Daily Ledger. Two months later, in July, he
was at Junction City, at the confluence of the Smoky Hill and Republican
rivers, three miles west of Fort Riley. He had been engaged by the
Town Company to do the mechanical work on their weekly newspaper,
which was to be called the "Junction City Sentinel." He found that
the Town Company had purchased a hand press and a lot of type from
some parties in another town, but parts of the press were lacking,
as were numerous other indispensable accessories. These had been ordered
from St. Louis by Mr. Lincoln, a compositor from the New York Tribune,
who had come out and taken a claim nine miles from Junction, which
he visited every Saturday. The editor, Benjamin Keyser, a lawyer,
a returned Californian, and an able writer, prepared his salutatory,
probably read it to the leading settlers, and all were clamorous to
see it in print, though all were informed of the incompleteness of
the printing machinery; but anxious to gratify the urgent demand,
the salutatory was put in type, placed on a galley, locked up, the
inking fairly well done, and a readable proof taken and delivered
to the editor. This printing was the first that was done in Kansas
west of Topeka, and at that time Colorado, as Arrapahoe county, was
part of Kansas. The Junction City Sentinel was finally issued. It
was the first newspaper west of Topeka. Mr. Kingsbury spent the winter
of 1861-2 at Topeka, the capital, employed on the state printing—the
state of Kansas having been admitted to the Union in 1861, and in
March, 1862, he came to Dakota, as has been stated. He began the publication
of the Weekly Dakotian in May, 1862, with Frank M. Ziebach as silent
partner. Mr. Ziebach had established the paper in June, 1861, and
continued it for several months during the election campaign—and
retained a half interest in the property and business, when in 1862,
the publication was resumed. As the first "Dakotian" had been a Douglas
democratic newspaper, and the new Dakotian a republican journal, political
party prudence suggested the formation of the partnership in the name
of Mr. Kingsbury who was a republican. Mr. Kingsbury continued in
the printing and publishing business at Yankton for full forty years,
during which time there were a number of new papers started which
were consolidated subsequently with the Dakotian. In 1875 the Daily
was started by M. S. Bowen & Company, Mr. Kingsbury representing
the company, and in 1902 he disposed of the plant and good will, and
retired from the publishing business. On the 20th of September, 1864,
George W. Kingsbury, of Yankton, and Lydia Maria Stone, daughter of
Nathan and Laura Stone, of Lawrence, Kansas, were married at the home
of the bride's mother, near Lawrence. They came directly to Yankton,
traveling by steamboat from St. Joseph, Missouri, to Council Bluffs
and the remainder of the journey by stage. Three sons were born to
them in the course of the following twelve years— George Wellington,
Theodore Horace, and Charles Stone—all of whom are living and
reside in South Dakota, except the second boy who is in California.
Lydia, the wife and mother, died February 1, 1898, and after a few
years the little family was broken up,— the home practically
abandoned. The History of Dakota Territory, to which the reader of
this sketch was introduced at its beginning, was, however, entirely
prepared under the old home roof—erected in 1864—the only
home and dwelling the family ever occupied.